Monday, January 9, 2012

Fusion Food

Like sushi, fusion food has never sounded appealing to me, so I've never attempted to eat it or prepare it....until today.  I have been cooking quite a bit lately, so we have a variety of leftovers gathering in our fridge.  When I decided to fix myself something to eat, I certainly didn't plan on fusing anything together....it just happened as I opened the fridge and started looking.

The first item I pulled out was some Mexican rice from the second batch of sour cream chicken enchiladas I made several days ago.  I made the first batch for company last Tuesday evening and had a lot of the filling left plus all the extras for the rest of the recipe, so I waited a couple of days and we had a repeat.  With the first set of enchiladas, I made my Spanish rice recipe, but I wanted to try something different, so when I made the second batch, I tried my mom's recipe.  I actually like hers better than mine!  I've posted both recipes below...they are very similar.

The second item I decided on was a partial piece of some oriental crockpot chicken I created one day last week.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE my husband's grilled chicken, so I had asked him to grill for dinner one night.  If he has mastered one item on the grill...it is chicken.  Man, it's good!  Anyway, I always butterfly the chicken breasts then marinate it in a Kroger brand sesame ginger 30-minute marinade.  Our plans changed and we weren't able to grill, but I already had the chicken marinating so I just popped it in the crockpot on low with the marinade and all and VOILA...new dish!

So today, I put some of the rice on a plate then shredded the piece of chicken and put it on top of the rice.  I drizzled the cooked marinade over the chicken and rice then microwaved it for a couple of minutes.  I was a little concerned about the taste, but to my surprise, it was delicious!!  I'm not sure if it would be called Mexican Asian fusion or Asian Mexican fusion.  I don't even really know all the proper terminology for fusion foods.  I should know more about it as much Food Network and Bravo as I watch!  Regardless of the name, it turned out yummy!

Tip:  leftovers really shouldn't be consumed by humans after more than 7 days in the fridge.  Anything older than 7 days (but not TOO old) I give to our junkyard guard dog in the backyard for his eating pleasure.  Yes, he still gets dog food everyday...I don't expect him to survive on old leftovers.


Collette's Spanish Rice

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon prepared minced garlic
1 small onion, finely chopped
1-1/2 cups white rice, uncooked
2-1/2 cups chicken broth
8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried parsley

1.  In large skillet over medium heat, saute garlic and onion for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion starts to turn clear.
2.  Add the rice and stir for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
3.  Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, and parsley; stir together and bring to a boil.
4.  Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20 minutes then fluff with a fork.

Print Collette's Spanish Rice Recipe


Collette's Mom's Spanish Rice

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon prepared minced garlic
1 small onion, finely chopped
1-1/2 cups white rice, uncooked
3 cups chicken broth
1 large tomato, chopped
3 small peppers (from a jar of pepper sauce), finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

1. In large skillet over medium heat, sauté garlic and onion for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion starts to turn clear.
2. Add the rice and stir for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Add chicken broth, tomato, peppers, and cilantro; stir together and bring to a boil.
4.  Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20 minutes then fluff with a fork.

Print Collette's Mom's Spanish Rice Recipe

Happy Fusing!

Collette :)

No comments:

Post a Comment