Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pork Loin Paradise!!


I found a pork loin on sale the other day, and decided to get it since we haven't had pork in a while.  Some people think I'm a decent cook, but I'm just a recipe-follower like any other Joe Blow in the kitchen.  That said, I decided to google the best way to cook pork loin.  I came across a cooking method that I wanted to try, but I was super skeptical.  The one thing you must remember when cooking pork is that it HAS TO BE COMPLETELY COOKED THROUGH!!!  Did I get my point across?  Some people are okay with even a little pink in the center...I am not!

Out of 176 reviews, I read the first 25 or so and everyone raved on this pork loin.  "I must try this," I thought to myself.  It got 4.75 stars out of 5.  For the most part, the star ratings for online recipes haven't let me down yet.  But...I was still skeptical; however, I was going to try this. 

I had some brown mustard in the fridge, so I spread about 1/2 cup of that all over the pork roast, then made a rub with random herbs and seasonings.  If I can remember correctly, I used the following:  1 packet of Italian dressing mix, ground black pepper, seasoned salt, lemon pepper, celery salt, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, dalmatian rubbed sage, and parsley.  I just mixed all this together in a small bowl then spread it around on the pork loin.  Mixed in with the brown mustard, it sort of made a paste on the outside of the pork loin.  Here are the directions from www.food.com for the pork loin:

Pork Loin Cooking Method
  1. NOTE: The success of this cooking method will depend upon how accurate the temperature of your oven is and how well your oven retains heat. Adjust cooking time +/- according your individual oven.
  2. NOTICE: If you have a very old oven that is not well insulated, this recipe may not work for you, as heat retention/residual heat is important to the success of this recipe.
  3. Determine the EXACT weight of roast from the meat wrapper. Weight will determine how long to cook the roast.
  4. Preheat oven to 500-550 degrees. Remove tenderloin from refrigerator. Season meat as desired. Place seasoned meat in an uncovered roasting pan on a shelf in the bottom 1/3 of your oven.
  5. Bake EXACTLY 5 1/2 minutes PER POUND. Adjust +/- according to your oven's accuracy and heat retention. Turn oven OFF and DO NOT open oven door for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let rest 5-10 minutes to redistribute internal juices. Roast will be done, very slightly pink in the center, and very moist.
  6. NOTE:******* For anyone questioning this method of cooking, it really does reach the proper internal temperature on a thermometer. If you have an oven probe or a thermometer that has a wire that goes through the side of the oven door, by all means use it and set alarm for 140-145 degrees. It should go off before the hour is up. After resting 5-10 minutes, the roast should reach 145-150 degrees.
  7. According to Sara Moulton on FoodTV, botulism is killed at 138 degrees, and 145 is a safe temperature for pork, although the USDA recommends 160 degrees (meat will be drier).

Print Pork Loin Cooking Method

The loin I purchased was 2.67 pounds.  I multiplied 2.67 (total pounds) x 5.5 (minutes per pound) which equals 14.685 (total minutes to cook).  Note to parents:  tell your kids this is why they have to pass elementary math!  I have a fairly new oven (less than 2 years old) that is pretty accurate, so I cooked it at 500 degrees F for 15 minutes, then turned off the oven and didn't open it for an hour.  I prepared all of the sides on the stovetop.

I cannot tell you how yummy and moist this pork loin was!!!  It was so good and no pink!  The brown mustard and rub paste on the outside actually penetrated the pork loin and it was so flavorful!  I had to run to Kroger today to pick up a few items that were on sale and pork loin was on sale so I bought another one!  This one was even bigger and cheaper.  I can't wait to try this again!

Nifty Noshing!

Collette :)

No comments:

Post a Comment