Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pineapple Parfaits

My kids don't have much time in the mornings to eat breakfast...for that matter, they're really not interested in breakfast that early anyway.  What's the most important meal of the day?  Everyone together....BREAKFAST!  I have seen that the kids function better at school if they have eaten at least a little something, so this year I have implemented a rule that they HAVE to get out the door with food or milk in their tummies.

While I was perusing through my recipes not long ago, I found one for these Pineapple Parfaits.  Last night, I told the kids I was going to make them and they would enjoy them for breakfast....super quick and easy.  Jonathan said they sounded great.  Benjamin groaned and said he didn't want one.  Lindsay asked me if they were healthy.

I made them in the smallest Glad disposable plastic containers, so the kids could just grab one out of the fridge.  The recipe said to make them in parfait glasses and of course there would be a couple of layers of each item, but I knew the kids didn't want a lot for breakfast, so I just made them "single" parfaits.


The recipe:
20 ounce can chunk pineapple, drained
32 ounce container lowfat vanilla yogurt
1 cup granola (I used the oats and honey crispy granola bars and crunched them up in a storage baggie)
Set out 9 of the plastic Glad containers.  Divide the pineapple, yogurt, and granola (respectively) equally among the containers.  Place the lids on tip; store in the fridge.

Print Pineapple Parfaits Recipe

I got 6 thumbs up from my kids this morning!  Benjamin the Naysayer was licking his bowl clean!  The only suggestion was to add more granola.  Oh and they make a great after-school snack as well.  Hope your kids enjoy them as much as mine!

Love from the kitchen...

No comments:

Post a Comment