Thursday, March 1, 2012

WHO'S THAT GUY??

That guy is my amazing husband!  Now, before you roll your eyes and exit out of the blog, I encourage you to read about someone who has successfully followed his dream.  I'm not sure how many people are given the opportunity to pursue a dream they have had since they were a child, but Ed was able to begin his dream catching journey back in 1999.
Picture a kid about 10 years old with giant black headphones on...sitting in front of the television set....various boxes set up in front of him (to mimic a radio station sound booth)...while watching Ron Chapman's live televised radio broadcast.  Ed's actual dream was to be a radio DJ, but that has never quite panned out for him (and not for lack of trying).  Ed has been to broadcasting school, worked in promotions at ESPN radio, recorded several commercials (that have been played on the radio), among pursuing various other radio opportunities, but unfortunately, radio is very hard to get your foot in the door and pretty much pays peanuts when you're just starting out.  We feel like God has just closed the door to radio right now.
Ed started his DJ career at age 17 literally spinning records in the DJ booth at his family's skating rink...Broadway Skateland...in Mesquite, TX.  From there he worked in various clubs around DFW.  Ed joined the United States Navy in 1987 and served for 11 years.  While he was in the Navy, he was able to stay active in entertainment by co-hosting a nightly news/variety television show on the USS Valley Forge.  In 1999, Ed moved to the social side of the DJ world and founded Ed Petty Productions.
How did he get started as a mobile DJ?  Ed was asked by our former pastor and his wife to DJ their daughter's wedding in August 1999.  When Ed began his mobile DJ career, he had nothing...nada...zilch!  To do this wedding, he used our home stereo equipment, and may have even borrowed a microphone from the church.  Little by little, as I worked overtime for the extra money, Ed was able to purchase his own equipment.  To train himself in the industry, he shadowed a friend and former roommate of his who had been in the business for years.  Slowly but surely things started coming together.  The first "official" event Ed did was our neighbor's nephew's 16th birthday/halloween party.  On a side note, I dressed up Max and Lindsay to the nines like clowns that year and they were SOOOO mad at me for making them go to a teenage party dressed like that!

Ed has been a mobile DJ for almost 13 years now and he loves it!  His favorite events are weddings, but I've heard he's good at all of them.  I purposely don't give my opinion about Ed for obvious, what could potentially be biased reasons.  I listen to what others say about him and I read his client feedback.  People really do think he's awesome and I'm so proud of him!  I'm so glad that the kids and I have been able to take this journey with him.  We have had some really slim times around here, but God has always carried us through and provided for us!
He is currently working for LeForce Entertainment.  Please check him out at www.leforcedfw.com or www.djedpetty.com.  As I mentioned earlier, weddings are his favorite events, but he also does school functions of all sorts, corporate events, mitzvah's, any kind of party you can think of...he's even DJ'd a bridal shower!
Collette :)

A DJ in the making
Then

Now

I just had to add this photo...Lindsay and Max are going to kill me!

Personal note to my sweetheart:  Ed Petty, I'm so thankful God allowed us to find each other.  You are one of the hardest working people I know and the best husband and father a family could ask for.  Baby, I'm amazed by you!  I love you so much! 
P.S.  I knew you were talented when you made that mixed tape for me for our first Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment