Friday, February 3, 2012

Yummy to my Tummy....Sour Cream Potato Salad

I know better than to rant and rave about my potato salad, because sure as I do, you will make it and think it's the most disgusting mess on planet earth.  But that's not going to stop me from ranting and raving about it.  I love it so much that I only make it once or twice a year so I don't chance getting burned out on it and when I do make it and there are leftovers....I will eat my potato salad for breakfast!!!

I was going to save some and eat it while I was writing this post, but I couldn't control myself and had the rest of it for lunch yesterday.  The only reason I even made potato salad in February (we all know that this mayonnaise-based delicacy was designed for hot summer picnics) was because Ed was craving it and I absolutely cringe when he buys that junk from the store (sorry if I just offended anyone). 

So I was meandering through Wal-Mart the other afternoon trying to decide what to have for dinner when I remembered that we had some frozen breaded chicken patties at home...lightbulb!....chicken patty sandwiches (small hamburger buns, breaded chicken patties baked in the oven, mustard, hamburger pickle slices), Bush's canned baked beans (because I didn't feel like making my homemade recipe), and my yummy to my tummy dreamy creamy Sour Cream Potato Salad.

I'm showing a picture of it, but it is really hard to make potato salad look good in a picture.


Sour Cream Potato Salad

6 medium potatoes
4 eggs, hard cooked
2/3 cup  mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup zesty Italian salad dressing
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup dill pickle relish
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

1.  Wash potatoes with skins on.
2.  Place potatoes in large stock pot and cover with water a couple of inches above the potatoes; salt the water generously.
3.  Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat and let boil for 30 minutes or until tender; they have probably been in the water too long if they start breaking open.  I don't boil them on high because it's too rough on the potatoes.
4.  After they are finished boiling, drain the potatoes and let them cool completely.  I set mine out on my cookie rack so air circulates around them.
5.  Boil the eggs...place the eggs in a medium-sized saucepan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and let boil 5 to 7 minutes.  I don't have any particular tips or tricks on this process...it seems like mine turn out different every time.  I think the fresher the eggs, the easier they are to peel.  But one thing I do is drain them after they are finished boiling, then let them sit in ice water for a few minutes before I try to crack and peel them.
6.  In the meantime, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, salad dressing, lemon juice, pickle relish, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and mix well; refrigerate while you're working on the potatoes and eggs.
7.  After the potatoes are cooled completely, peel and cube them; place them in a large mixing bowl.  I cube mine different sizes because I like some of the potato to mash up a little, but I still like some chunks.
8.  Chop the eggs, but do not mash them; add them to the potatoes.
9.  Pour the dressing over the potatoes and eggs and mix well.  Try not to mash all the potatoes while mixing...again, I like some chunks remaining after a good stir.
10.  Serve immediately or refrigerate then serve.

Print Sour Cream Potato Salad Recipe

I like to use 7 to 8 medium potatoes, then make a double dose of the dressing mix.  Do this version if you like it extra flavorful.  I wish I could just bring you a bowl of the heaven I made!  Hope you enjoy!

Happy Eating!

Collette :)

No comments:

Post a Comment