Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Borracho Beans

We had company over for dinner last night, so I decided to make some homemade Mexican food.  It has been a while since I've cooked a good hot meal so I really wanted to go all out (Collette style, anyway).  I fixed sour cream chicken enchiladas, Mexican rice, and borracho beans (I ususally fix Zatarain's Spanish rice and canned refried beans with our enchiladas so I was really steppin' it up).  I was the most excited about the borracho beans, because I created the recipe on the fly (based on what I've had at Mexican food restaurants in the past).

Since time wasn't my friend in trying to prepare these dishes, I didn't take any pictures, but if you've ever had these at a restaurant, then you should get the picture.  I actually tried to take a picture of the beans this morning, but I just couldn't get a pretty angle.

Mamacita's Borracho Beans
(I'm mamacita....I can't just give my recipes normal names)

3 cans pinto beans (I used Great Value brand)
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 tablespoon prepared minced garlic
14.5 ounce can diced stewed tomatoes
6 slices microwaveable bacon, chopped
1/8 - 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Dash cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan until well blended.  Cover and simmer on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. 

I started the beans before everything else and just let them go, stirring them every so often.  They don't need to boil since the beans are already prepared....they should simmer for at least an hour to blend the flavors.  Next time I make these, I will also add in the juice of a fresh lime.

Print Borracho Beans Recipe

Feliz Comiendo!

Collette :)

No comments:

Post a Comment