Friday, January 13, 2012

2012 Milestone #1...Lindsay's 18th Birthday!!

As I mentioned in my post titled "An Exciting Year", our family has many milestones this year.  Today, we've hit our first one for the year....our daughter's 18th birthday (I'm starting this post on her birthday [Wednesday, January 11], but I'm sure I won't actually finish it and publish it for a couple of days).  I can't believe it's been 18 years since I gave birth to this beautiful young lady.  I was 21, unmarried, and very scared when I found out I was pregnant.  I remember praying that God would allow me to see my child accept him as his/her personal Savior (which was my prayer for all my children), and that he or she would grow up to be a godly young person and adult.  The Lord is so faithful and answered these prayers.

When Lindsay was about 7 years old, she came home from VBS one day thinking about where she would go when she dies.  She had heard others talk about remembering a time they asked Jesus into their hearts, but she couldn't put her finger on a specific time in her life.  As she was sitting in the easy chair in the living room that day she asked Jesus into her heart.  What a day!  Lindsay has definitely grown to be a godly young lady and is certainly wise beyond her years.  There are so many times I feel inadequate even trying to have a conversation with her.  She's extremely knowledgeable about the Bible and strives to apply it to her life. 

I love her sense of humor...there isn't a day that goes by that she doesn't make me laugh.  Most importantly, as busy as she is these days, she still makes time to sit down and talk to me and spend time with me.  She still loves to come home and tell me about her day, go to the grocery store with me and take me shopping with her (when I'm willing to go...I HATE shopping).  She even comes into the kitchen more often now to help me cook (probably because she realizes she needs to figure out how to cook some things to survive.)  :)  Oh!  And of all things, she's talked me into doing Just Dance with her on the Wii quite often.

So, what did we do to celebrate?  She asked me to serve her breakfast in bed, and I said that would be fine.  I honestly can't remember a time when I've done this for the kids.  She placed an order from McDonald's, so I had planned on getting up about 6:00 a.m. to get everything done.  Well, of course, I overslept so her breakfast in bed dream still hasn't come to fruition.

I made her some owl cupcakes to take to school and hand out during lunch.  Apparently they were a big hit!  Yay!  I got the idea from Pinterest (http://pinterest.com/).  It's a site to display your likes, dislikes, wants, needs, hopes, dreams, etc. via electronic billboards....if you haven't checked it out, I suggest you do.  Warning:  it's very addictive!  The green cookies are mint Oreos.  I wanted to find some Oreos with pink filling, but I couldn't find them.  Both stores I went to were sold out.  I think it's a berry-flavored filling.



Then, because I knew the kids at school would devour ALL of these cupcakes, I also wanted to make her something to have at the house as well.  My husband is strictly a white cake, vanilla frosting kinda guy, so I made him a batch of white cupcakes and frosted them with the colorful frosting I had remaining from the owl cupcakes.




I wanted to make Lindsay cupcakes that she really likes and one of her favorite flavor combinations is strawberry cake with chocolate frosting.  It didn't sound very good to me at first, either, but I finally tried them and they're pretty good.  She also likes strawberry ice cream with chocolate sauce poured over it.  I guess the concept is the same as a chocoloate-covered strawberry.  I also made chocolate-covered strawberries....milk chocolate drizzled in white just to eat and white chocolate drizzled in milk chocolate as toppers for the cupcakes.  I realize my strawberries aren't the most attractive, but they are delicious!





Okay, so that's that for the birthday sweets.  Now for dinner....I don't know how Lindsay came to love Red Lobster so much, but it has become an annual birthday tradition for her.  We had a large group for dinner this year.  Ed's Aunt Shari is in town right now and was visiting with us, so we invited her to come along as well as my mom, my adopted sister Sara and her daughter Emily.  Lindsay had a sign language program at church so she had to leave dinner a little early, but that gave me time to run home and bake her cupcakes, dip the strawberries and wrap her gifts!  Yes, my nick name is Last-Minute Lucy.

She specifically requested Just Dance 3 (Wii) and some CDs from Amazon for her birthday.  Ed forgot to stop and get her gift earlier today while he was out so we had to make a run to Best Buy on the way home from Red Lobster.  I guess I'm not the only Last-Minute Lucy in the family.  The CDs didn't arrive in time for her birthday, but we did have other gifts for her.  In addition to Just Dance 3, Ed also got Summer Party (also a Just Dance product).  I got her a lamp that she had picked out for her dorm room and some Starbucks drinks, microwave popcorn and a pack of gum.  I just made a cute little gift basket out of the last 3 items.

So I think she had a good birthday this year.  I'm still going to have a combined family party for her with Ed's family and mine (and maybe a few friends).  I guess I need to get busy planning that now!  Happy Birthday to my sweet baby girl!  I love you, Lindsay!



Happy party planning!

Collette :)

No comments:

Post a Comment